Wunderkind PR — New York, NY
Founder, September 2008-present
Launched Wunderkind PR in September 2008 with the philosophy that serious experience and personal attention are the key to great publicity results. Wunderkind PR works closely with publishers, authors, PR agencies, and communications companies to carefully tailor book publicity plans to produce the best possible results. Joined with business partner, Tanya Farrell, in December 2009 to expand scope of PR outreach to include intensive literary media follow-up in addition to core commercial and genre media outreach.
MacMillan-Tor, Forge, Tor Teen, Starscape & Seven Seas Manga — New York,
Director of Publicity, June 2003—August 2008
Led publicity department with 7 publicists/publicity assistants to an average increase of 25% new bestsellers per year, culminating in a record 13 New York Times bestsellers in 2007.
· Formulated publicity plans for all formats and all titles, including thrillers/mysteries,
women’s fiction, science fiction/fantasy, non-fiction, true crime, historical
fiction, manga, young adults, and kids novels.
· Conceived of and managed all creative, legal, and technical aspects of web contest involving fan groups that netted 10,000 new e-newsletter sign-ups
· Coordinated major internet initiatives including launch of first company e-newsletter, management of author podcasts and online videos, and organization of monthly website and newsletter features, etc.
· Managed budget for publicity and web plans for all titles and directed publishing house’s presence at major conventions such as The Bahamas Weather Conference and ComicCon.
· Met seasonally with top media such as the Today Show, The New York Times, Entertainment Weekly, Publishers Weekly, etc. to pitch lead titles.
· Handled launch of major properties for company, including media plans and bookings for Halo novels and top house authors such as Dune authors Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen, Terry Goodkind, Bill Evans, and Eric Van Lustbader.
Publicity Manager, May 2000— May 2003
Booked major tours and publicity for top authors, including the #1 New York Times bestseller Robert Jordan, #3 New York Times bestseller Orson Scott Card, and #7 New York Times bestseller Joel C. Rosenberg, a first-time author.
· Scheduled author interviews with major media contacts at Oprah, Good Morning
America, Fox News, NPR, etc.
· Handled title assignments for all publicists, initiated and oversaw internship program, and implemented tracking system with editorial staff to track publicity levels for all titles.
Freelance Publicist, September 1999 — May 2000
Wrote press material for authors on The New York Times bestseller list and generated pitch letters and talking points for author tie-ins with current events.
Associate Publicist, October 1998 — August 1999
Worked closely with authors in all areas of publicity, organized and coordinated major author tours, and generated promotional materials.
Publicity Assistant, October 1997 — October 1998
Cultivated and maintained media contacts and handled press release mailings and all media clippings for Forge.
The Fulbright Commission — London, England
Administrative Assistant October 1996 — April 1997
Assisted Director of Educational Advisory Service in promoting new programs. Advised international students on educational opportunities in the U.S. and wrote articles for Commission newsletter.
Roland Park Public School — Baltimore, MD
Student Teacher September 1995 — May 1996
Taught weekly seventh grade classes. Created lesson plans for weekly lectures and assembled student poetry materials and organized receptions.
Inside Edition — New York, NY
Intern June 1995 — August 1995
Proposed ideas for shows based on breaking news and coordinated Man-on-the-Street footage.
X-107 RADIO-107.1 FM — Hawthorne, NY
Copy Writer June 1994 — August 1995
Wrote and edited commercial copy for clients and organized weekly on-air promotions for clubs.
New York University
Master of Arts — Linguistics and Anthropology, GPA-3.85, 2001
The Johns Hopkins University
Bachelor of Arts — Anthropology and Writing Seminars, Phi Beta Kappa, 1996