Wunderkind PR — New York/New Jersey
December 2009 – Present
A full-service public relations company specializing in commercial and literary titles.
Picador/Macmillan Publishers — New York, NY
May 2002 – December 2009
Associate Publisher/VP of Publicity, April 2008 – December 2009; Director of Publicity, November 2003 – April 2008; Publicity Manager, May 2002 – November 2003
Oversee publicity for publishing house and entire paperback publishing program which includes literary fiction and non-fiction titles.
· Handle all public relations for publisher and imprint. Direct a staff,
report to the publisher, and work closely with marketing, editorial, sales
force, and publicity departments within Macmillan.
· Develop strategic promotional plans and budgets for every title, present titles to the sales representatives at conferences, host booth during annual Book Expo America
· Act as publicist for high-profile authors including Augusten Burroughs, Tom Wolfe, Jonathan Franzen, Jeffrey Eugenides, Michael Cunningham, Marilynne Robinson, Atul Gawande, Richard Powers, Shirley Hazzard, Richard Price, Nadine Gordimer, Scott Turow, and Tom Friedman.
· Cultivate relationships with national media; work with movie production companies such as Warner Independent, Focus Features, and Sony Tri Star; arrange events with literary book fairs, festivals, libraries, and museums, including: 92 nd Street Y, Cooper Union, The New York Public Library, Aspen Writers Foundation, United Nations, Central Park, and The Paris Review as well as bookstores throughout the U.S.
John Wiley & Sons, Inc. — New York, NY
November 1996 – May 2002
Senior Publicist, May 2001 – May 2002; Publicist, September 1998 – May 2001; Associate Publicist, January 1998 – September 1998; Publicity Assistant, November 1996 – January 1998
Handle publicity for hardcover and paperback titles in the following categories: General Interest, History, Science, Biography, African American, Parenting, Children's, Health, Business, Personal Finance, Career.
· Work with major corporations and associations to co-promote books including:
WNBA, The Schomberg Center, American Red Cross, and Children’s Hospital of
· Design and implement multi-city author publicity tours. Pitch and secure national and regional media for authors. Coordinate online publicity campaigns and chats. Represent publicity department in author, sales and marketing meetings.
· Coordinate events for author tours, including bookstore signings, book parties, and speaking engagements. Solicit coverage and reviews in print, television, radio, and online opportunities. Assisted the Director of Publicity with all aspects of author publicity campaigns. Created and maintained budgets for publicity department.
Prudential Securities — New York, NY
August 1995 – November 1996
Portfolio Service Representative
Researched, identified, and reconciled client positions with trading activity to accurately reflect profit and loss on their month end statements.
Hunter College, CUNY/College of Staten Island
New York, Fall 1999, Spring 2000
Twelve credits completed towards a Master of Arts in English
State University of New York at Albany
Albany, NY, May 1995
Bachelor of Arts, Spanish/Business, Dean’s List
Universidad de los Andes, Universidad Pontificia Javeriana
Colombia, SA Study abroad semester - Fall 1994
Associate Member of PEN American Center (Feb 2009-present). Served as a panelist at the Aspen Summer Writing Festival (2005). Fluent in Spanish.